– Application of Yoga as a THERAPY
Author: Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
Publisher: Dhivyananda Creations, 2013
About This Book: Yoga as a mode of therapy (Yoga Chikitsa) has become extremely popular and a great number of studies and systematic reviews offer scientific evidence of its potential in treating a wide range of psychosomatic conditions. Yoga understands health and well-being as a dynamic continuum of human nature and not merely a ‘state’ to be reached and maintained. Yoga helps the individual to establish sukha sthanam which may be defined as a dynamic sense of physical mental and spiritual well-being.
This book is primarily an anthology of articles on Yoga and Yoga Therapy penned by Dr Ananda and others close to him that have appeared in various Yoga Journals worldwide in recent years. The aim of this collection is to stimulate and motivate Yoga enthusiasts and medical professionals alike to make an effort towards understanding the great depth and wide scope of Yoga chikitsa the application of Yoga as an integrative mode of therapy.
The need of the hour is for a symbiotic relationship between Yoga and modern science. To satisfy this need living human bridges combining the best of both worlds need to be cultivated. It is important that more dedicated scientists take up Yoga and that more Yogis study science so that we can build a bridge between these two great evolutionary aspects of our civilization. This book reiterates the concept that Yoga is all about becoming “one” with an integrated state of being and that the modern tendency of Yogopathy in contrast is more about “doing” than “being”.
”This new book on Yoga Therapy is from a well known Yoga teacher, medical doctor, Bharata Natyam artiste, musician and an acclaimed teacher in all of these. It is a welcome book with many interesting ideas on Yoga Philosophy and Yoga Therapy both of which are of great importance in this age of quick knowledge and fast applications in therapy of an ancient wisdom whose authenticity in application is always under a scanner. Dr. Ananda belongs to a great tradition of Yogis and has impeccable credentials to write this book. This outstanding book is a handy reference to the above aspects of a great science that is contributing worldwide to health promoting activities”.
– Prof TM SRINIVASAN, Dean, Division of Yoga and Physical Sciences, S-VYASA Yoga University, Bangalore, India.
“Authentic, comprehensive, and well researched by a brilliant doctor and world leader in the field of Yoga and health. Highly recommended for Yoga teachers, and students worldwide.”
– LARRY PAYNE Ph.D. E-RYT500 YTRX, Founding director Yoga Therapy Rx™ & Prime of Life Yoga™, LMU Extension Program, Co-Author, Yoga for Dummies, Yoga Rx & The Business of Teaching Yoga, Founding director Samata International Yoga & Health Institute, Los Angeles, California, USA.
”A lot of books on Yoga Therapy offer a limited view of the subject, looking only at the physical approach to health. The holistic approach is missing. Dr Ananda presents the physical, mental, spiritual dimensions of therapy in the Yoga way. He deals with the patient, rather than the illness. Yet cause and effect are inseparable for Yoga is union at all levels. I wholly endorse Dr Ananda’s presentation of Yoga Therapy.”
– Yogacharya ERIC DOORNEKAMP, Lotus Yoga Centre, New Zealand.
Foreword and blessings -Swami Anandakapila Saraswati (Dr. Jonn Mumford)
Foreword and blessings -Prof. Dr. Madanmohan
Section : I- YOGA AS A THERAPY
1. A Yogic Perspective on Health and Disease -Yogacharini Smt. Meenakshi Devi Bhavanani
2. Understanding the Science of Yoga -Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
3. Effect of Yogic Practices on Different Systems of Human Body- Prof. Dr. Madanmohan
4. Yoga Chikitsa: Yoga as a Therapy -Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
5. Yoga Chikitsa – Yoga Therapy Origin, Scope and Practical Application- Dr. Swami Gitananda Giri Guru Maharaj
Section : II- YOGA IN CARDIOVASCULAR CONDITIONS
1. Role of Yoga in Prevention and Management of Cardiovascular Disease: The JIPMER Experience- Prof Dr Madanmohan
2. Hypertension and Its Yogic Management-Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
3. Yoga Practices for Prevention and Management of Hypertension- Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
Section : III- YOGA IN METABOLIC CONDITIONS
1. Burden of Diabetes and Role of Diet
2. Importance of Body Mass Index (BMI) And Waist Circumference (WC) in Pre-empting Possible Complications of Obesity-Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
3. Practices for Prevention and Management of Diabetes Mellitus- Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
Section : IV- YOGA FOR RESPIRATORY CONDITIONS
1. Swarodaya Vigjnan (A Scientific Study of the Nasal Cycle) -Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
2. Yoga for Breathing Disorders-Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
3. Scientific Basis for Some Yoga Practices in Sinusitis- Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
4. Nada Yoga Techniques for Patients of Breathing Disorders- Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
Section : V- YOGA FOR MUSCULOSKELETAL CONDITION
1. Yoga for a Healthy Back-Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
2. Yoga and Cervical Spondylosis-Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
3. Rheumatological and Immunological Aspects of Aging and the Importance of Integrated Approach of Yoga in Senior Citizens-Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
Section: VI- YOGA AND NORMAL AND ABNORMAL PSYCHOLOGICAL / PSYCHIATRIC CONDITIONS
1. Integral Psychology of Yoga-Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
2. Culturing One’s Self Through Yoga -Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
3. The Yoga Of Interpersonal Relationships-Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
4. Yoga and Stress -Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
5. Yogic Perspectives on Depression and Mental Health-Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
6. Role of Yoga in Geriatric Psychiatric Disorders-Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
Section : VII – APPLICATION OF YOGA IN SPECIAL TARGET GROUPS
1. Yoga for Health in Children -Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
2. Yoga for Differently-abled Children- Yogachemmal Smt. Meena Ramanathan
3. Yoga: A Boon for Maternal and Child Health -Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
4. Yoga Practices during Pregnancy -Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
5. Teaching Yoga to Senior Citizens -Yogachemmal Smt. Meena Ramanathan
5. A Basic Yoga Therapy Programme for Patients of Multiple Sclerosis-Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
Section : VIII- IN CONCLUSION
1. Yoga : The Ideal Way of Life -Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
2. Yoga Therapy in Modern Times -Yogacharya Dr. Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
A Closing Word
The World Blesses Dr. Ananda (Blessings from elders, teachers, colleagues,students and others from all over the world)